Friday, June 22, 2012

Moving Past 'The Decision'

I think the time has finally come for all of us to move on from 'The Decision'. It's been nearly two years since Lebron infamously said 'I'll be taking my talents to South Beach'. Nearly two years since Lebron, Wade and Bosh held a massive celebration and stated that they winning would be easy and they would win multiple championships.

For the past two years the media has been hating on Lebron James. Over analyzing every game, every move and every failure. He has been the most scrutinized player in professional sports since he left Cleveland. And he deserved it.

He deserved it because he crowned the Heat to be a dynasty before they played a game, said the big three in Miami was one of the best trio's in basketball history before they had even had a practice together. The celebration for signing Bosh and James looked like a combination between a championship parade and a WWE intro.

It was way over the top and mad him look selfish, arrogant and immature.

Fast forward from the celebrations to the end of last season when Lebron and co lost to the Mavericks after being up two games to one. Lebron choked in that series. Just like he choked when he played his last series for Cleveland. He looked timid, didn't have the killer instinct that he should have. He didn't have the attitude that said 'I'm the baddest player in the game right now, I'm going to own everyone I play'. That attitude we've seen in Jordan and Kobe. He was missing that, despite all his talent he didn't have the 'killer gene' that we all think he should have.

Fast forward to this post season.

Lebron has the killer instinct, he has the attitude that says he is the best player in the game. He has the confidence that he could tell the player guarding him exactly how he is going to score on him, and then do it. It's something his game has been missing. And its finally here.

We can't say he doesn't have the killer instinct anymore, we can't say he isn't clutch. We can't say he doesn't have the desire to win. He has all of those now, and it was extremely evident during this amazing post season.

So now it is time to stop hating so much on Lebron. It's time to move pat 'The Decision'. It was two years ago, he made a mistake and has admitted he would handle things differently if he could.

I think it's time we forget about the past and appreciate him for the talent that he is. He is playing some of the best basketball right now. And although the season is over, don't expect to see Lebron's game take a drop in the 2012-2013 season. He will still be playing outta his mind.

We can still dislike him, but I don't think we should hate him. We should appreciate the kind of basketball he is playing right now.

I made a mistake of not appreciating Kobe's game back when he was in his prime. I despised the guy, hated him and the Lakers. Despite his stellar play, I hated Kobe. Looking back I wish I could have just sat back and watched his game. I wish I could have said, 'You know, I don't like Kobe...but man can he play' and then sit back and just watch and be in awe at his game.

I plan on doing this with Lebron. I don't like the guy, what he did to Cleveland was bad. How he handled The Decision was bad. How he quit in the playoffs in the past was bad. But he is playing amazingly right now, and all I want to do is sit back and witness how great he is.

It's ok to dislike a player, or hope that he doesn't win. Many people don't like Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird. But to hate them and not appreciate how great their game is, and how well they are playing, especially in their prime, is almost a crime. Lebron is the best player of our generation. He is playing the best basketball since Jordan. I think we should appreciate that.

I'm not a fan of Lebron. I still dislike him and the Heat. I don't want to see him win. But when he plays I plan to appreciate his talents.

I plan to enjoy watching him play, and I think everyone else should.

No comments:

Post a Comment