So today I am going to rant and rave, most likely, about how unfair college football is, but at the same time it might be a good idea to just get over it.
My case for a playoff system of some sort is very strong this year. There are right now four undefeated teams, Oregon, Auburn, TCU and Boise State. All four teams right now deserve to play in the national title game. All teams have played good opponents, all of them are undefeated and all of them should get a shot to be national champions. Sadly with the BCS, only two teams will get the chance to play for the right to be champions. It is not fair, it is not right and it only makes things less fun to watch.
Me blogging about how messed up the BCS is not new, I've done at least two already, but that doesn't mean I can't do it again, it only shows how bad the BCS is right now.
Imagine if the BCS was implemented in other sports? In the NCAA tourney this year Duke would not have been in the title game, even though they won it all.
Butler, the 'Boise State' of basketball would NEVER have made it to the title game, they would be lucky to be in one of the BCS bowls.
The World Series this year? Both San Fran and Texas would not be in the title game.
It just doesn't make sense to have the top two ranked teams play each other, especially when pre-season ranking plays such a HUGE role in the matter. Teams that aren't ranked super high in the preseason poll have a nearly impossible chance of playing for the championship, and the preseasons polls are basically a guess. Most are not even educated guesses.
For example, Florida and Texas were ranked 4th and 5th in the preseason polls this year. Right now Florida is 6-3 and ranked 22nd, Texas is 4-5 and might not even go to a bowl game. That shows how 'educated' the preseason polls are.
I also love how people say that teams like Boise State and TCU could not finish undefeated in a BCS conference, that if they played in the SEC or Big Twelve they would not be contenders, they would win 6 or 7 games and be a middle of the road program.
Yeah, and Utah could never beat Alabama. And Boise State could never beat Oklahoma, Butler could never make it the title game, The Patriots could never beat the Rams(the greatest show on turf) and Giants could never beat the undefeated Patriots, the Jets could never beat the colts, Indiana State could never make it to the championship game, and Mens hockey could never beat the Soviets...Right.
For people to say with such authority that Boise State and TCU could not succeed in 'power' conferences is absurd. Can these people see into the future? Then how come they never saw all of these upsets.
Sports are always fun to watch because you never know what is going to happen. You never know if a team is going to get hot and upset a team that is suppose to be better. With the BCS, it takes away a lot of that excitement, because unless you were favored to win in the preseason polls the chances of you winning it all are next to none.
I've been following college football pretty close this season, I've been following the four undefeated teams pretty close this year, I've watched a lot of Oregon and TCU, followed Auburns growth, and watched as much Boise State as I have been able to, I went to the Boise State-Hawaii game on Saturday. All four teams deserve a chance to play for the championship. All four teams have played quality opponents. I don't want to hear anyone complain about Boise State or TCU choosing to play easier teams. If you actually did ANY research you would notice that both TCU and Boise State try as hard as they can to play 'elite' programs. The problem is, no one wants to play either of these teams. No one wants to play Boise State because they know they are most likely going to lose. Boise State prepares very hard for each game, because they know each team they are playing is going to give them their best shot. And don't assume that the WAC and Mtn West conferences are both weak, Utah, Air Force and San Diego State are all solid teams in the Mtn West. Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno State all have decent teams in the WAC. It just doesn't seem like they have good teams when they get killed by TCU or Boise State. Hawaii was just outside of the top 25 before their game against Boise State, that means they are a pretty good team. BSU killed them. Utah was ranked 5th(over ranked, but they are still a good team) and TCU embarrassed them.
All four teams deserve a shot to play for the title game, I'm not writing this as a Boise State fan, I'm writing this as a fan of college football. If we had a playoff games would be so much more interesting. More money would be made, and we could finally have a system that work in college football.
However, I am growing tired of complaining about the BCS. Tired of thinking how a team like BSU or TCU can make it to the title game. I'm tired of all the SEC bias, and how everyone thinks Boise State can't play with the big boys when clearly they can. So this year I've come to the conclusion that people just don't want to see Boise State or TCU play for it all, so I've started rooting for Oregon since they can actually make it to the title game. I've always liked Oregon too, so that helps. But I have stopped caring as much about how bad the BCS is because I don't think it will ever change, I don't think a playoff will ever happen, so why keep worrying about it, just doesn't make sense to keep whining, more or less, when nothing will change.
College football is the only sport where you can win every single game and still not be the champion. That sums up how bad the BCS is.
I totally agree. I had no idea really that college football was like this. It makes absolutely no sense and seems so unfair. Like it really makes no sense whatsoever. Thanks for teaching me a little something!
ReplyDelete